I can't believe it's already end of February! 2021 is going by by crazy fast and I still feel like I'm always trying to catch up! I swear, the older I get, time moves faster. I always try to keep in mind that I don't have to do everything all in one day and to take things day by day. Keeping balanced is challenging in our everyday life. Here are my top 11 tips (NOT in order of importance) for staying balanced.
1. Get enough sleep. Sleep deprivation leads to moodiness, chronic fatigue and depletes your immune system.
2. Do something nice for yourself everyday. Yes, everyday! Go for a walk, surf, yoga or anything that makes your heart sing!
3. Healthy diet. Make sure you're maintaining a healthy diet balanced with foods full of prana (energy/life force) and plenty of water.
4. Exercise. Movement helps energy and blood flow, keeps the endorphins pumping and helps alleviate stress, anxiety and depression. You will be in a better mood and sleep better as well:)
5. Get out in nature. Sitting inside an office all day can get stagnant. Go play in nature and connect to the life outdoors to revitalise and shake off the stagnant energy.
6. Meditate. Daily meditation helps still the mind, so you are more focused, clear and at peace. Don't think you have enough time to meditate? It doesn't have to be a long meditation...no longer than 20 minutes and you will feel the benefits and have more space and clarity. Now, you can do what you need to do and do it much better.
7. Yoga. Need I say more? The practice of asana is a moving meditation, which helps still the mind. Take time out of your busy day to connect, let go of the distractions and just be in the moment. Indulge in a little bit of 'me time'!
8. Just say 'no'. I was one of those people who couldn't say 'no'. I would try to do it all and say yes to everything. Eventually, I would burn out and get sick. I would be left mentally and emotionally drained and my body would revolt by shutting down and I would get sick.
9. Prioritise with lists. I love ticking off things on my 'to do' list. Prioritising my 'to do' lists help me organise my life. I do what I need to do each day and maybe some more if I have time. There's no need to stress out and do everything all at once, especially if it means loosing sleep. Just focus on getting one task done at a time and do it well.
10. Hang out with a friend, your partner or pet. Human and pet connections are so important. My dad tells me that petting an animal or hugging someone can help reduce stress levels. Have a good conversation with a friend or partner, play with your kid or pet and most importantly, be present!
11. Stay hydrated....with water:) Our bodies are made up of 70% water and we need water to purify and detoxify our bodies. Water is central to many bodily functions including circulation, digestion, absorption, and elimination of wastes. Water also carries electrolytes (i.e. sodium, potassium), which are essential for electrical signalling within the body. Water is also a natural blood thinner since it makes up the majority of our blood. Not only is water essential for maintaining bodily functions, but it also gives us natural energy. One of the easiest, safest, and best ways to improve your energy throughout the day is to constantly sip on water to keep your body hydrated and functional. Next time, you are feeling tired, drink a glass of water instead of a coffee.